Banbury Gardeners are pleased to unveil this larger than average Garden Design & Build, Brackley. A south-facing garden that’s rather large which is unusual for a new build. The original garden was primarily laid to lawn with a small utility-sized patio and some large mature plants planted along one fenced boundary to provide year-round privacy. See enclosed images of the garden prior to design and build taking place.
Garden Before Images
New Garden Requirements
Having had the opportunity of creating a low maintenance planting scheme on the front garden the owners asked for my advice and thoughts regarding their rear garden. They had previously turned to another designer for help on this but it did not meet their requirements and we were asked to take a second view and come up with a concept design for the new garden. Most new build gardens can be tricky to design especially when the angles are somewhat not straight. This garden works on the vision of the diagonal view with the use of circles to make the garden feel bigger than it actually is in reality. Fortunately, a south-facing garden is a bonus too meaning the planting choice was vastly improved. The wish for color and interest through the seasons provided us with the opportunity of creating a good selection of plants. Here using a focal point the garden can be viewed from two points. The need for color, fragrance, and interest through the seasons was important. Giving the new garden a degree of height interest played its part too. In effect, we came up with a Cottage style garden with a planting scheme to match.
The new large garden design & build
The new garden works on a 3 circle formula where the far end of the garden consists of a broken circular lawn with a narrow path running around the outside of it. Within the far corner, we created a corner patio for the placing of a Love Seat and the owner can fill this area with garden pots of color. Behind the Corner seating feature, we raised the height of the wall using diamond trellis so that in future the evergreen climbing plants can climb and ramble all over it to provide privacy and fragrance. further additions include:
- Training wires on all the vertical brickwork surfaces for the training of climbing fragrant plants to include Roses, Jasmine, Clematis and Honeysuckles
- Large deep border plantings of Shrubs and Herbaceous perennials to provide interest 12 months of the year
- New lawns laid in ryegrass turf which will be maintained by Banbury Gardeners and treated by Banbury Lawncare
- A central circular Pergola in the center of the garden which will home fragrant climbing roses and Trailing Strawberry Hanging baskets, Beneath the pergola low Lavender Hedging (Lavender Munstead) and carpeting alpines (Helianthenumus will soften the hard paved surfaces
- On the left side of the garden boundary, a sleeper retaining wall is installed to allow the border to sit level with the curved paved path around the first lawn, This was installed as to prevent planting above the next-door neighbor’s boundary damp proof course (DPC)
- A herb garden was located on one side of the garden close to the kitchen and planted with climbers to the wall and underplanted with Golden Oregano, Chives, Purple Sage, Thyme and Parsley. This was then edged with a low growing lavender to act as a mini hedge in time using Lavender Imperial Gem.
- Prior to work commencing the owners had planted an evergreen screen of Photinia Red robin and Cherry Laurel to provide privacy from the neighbors behind. This meant that with the soil beds raised in height and the degree of moist shade beneath we could then include a woodland style planting scheme below the trees to provide winter and late spring interest. Here we planted Convallaria majoralis (Lily of the Valley) with its fragrant white flowers, Cyclamen coum, a carpeting pink Cyclamen, a collection of dwarf evergreen ferns., Liriope with its flesh green strap-like leaves and purple-blue flowers
- On the rear of the South facing garage wall is a climbing rose called Banksiae Lutea. A thornless semi-evergreen climbing rose producing masses of small yellow cupped flowers.
The Completed Garden
Video tour of the completed garden
Other Garden Services
We are pleased to offer the other garden services if you’re not looking for the Full Garden design & Build see below with links for each service:
- Garden Design
- Garden design Bicester
- Mini garden makeovers
- Border planting schemes
- Garden Maintenance
- Hard Landscaping
- Garden Lighting
- Plant Sourcing Service
- Artificial Grass Supply and Installation
- Lawn Care and Treatments
- Home Garden Consultancy
Get in Touch
Contact us for your FREE Garden design consultation. You have seen the scale of this garden build and its planting and we would love to design and build your garden too. We always offer FREE ideas to help you make the most of your outside space no matter what your style is you are looking for in a garden. Now booking 2020 garden projects.